Monday, August 30, 2010

Marble Cake


The last time I attempted making marble cake was a few years ago when I was still ignorant when it comes to baking and proportions. It was a random recipe I grabbed off a book that required 500 grams of flour for a loaf of cake. My mum got home and saw the cake, it was obviously dry and too heavy, and she immediately asked "How much flour did you put in there?". "500 grams, is that a lot?" -.- Omg *runs and hides* That was back in the days. Now I only trust recipes that get a lot of good reviews. Books? Not unless I know who the author/pastry chef is.

I was having a craving for marble cake not long ago. Remembering those days when the roti man would come around our neighbourhood every evening, and often I'd get a slice of pre-packed marble cake from the tower of breads behind his motorcycle for 50 cents.

This recipe is one I happened to chance upon while Googling marble cake, and it linked to the original blogger's site *click*. The marble cake seemed too good to be true. With a short trip to the grocery store to get some plain yoghurt, my sudden craving was satisfied that very day.

All in all, this cake was definitely one of the more moist and less buttery (without compromising its fluffiness) cakes I've made. Yoghurt in baking is something new to me, it does wonders to the cake's texture and taste!

Recipe adapted from House of Annie
(I've converted the measurements to the metric system for those of us who are more used to it)

340 g unsalted butter, softened
400 g sugar
6 extra-large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
360 g plain flour
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
1/2 cup milk
100 g dark choc
1 tbsp cocoa powder

1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Melt chocolate in 20s increments in the microwave.
3. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 20s after each one.
5. Add vanilla, mix well.
6. Sift dry ingredients into the mixture in 3 parts. Interspersing with yoghurt and milk. Stir gently.
7. Take out half of the batter, place in a buttered and floured baking tin. Mix the other half with chocolate and cocoa powder and add to the baking tin.
8. Twirl batter using a figure 8 motion.
9. Bake for 40 minutes in a loaf tin. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert!

For more detailed instructions, please check out Annie's site.


3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! the inside looks interesting! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked our recipe. Thanks for doing the metric conversions for people - definitely something we should be doing on our site :-/

    Thanks also for the link back! Hope you find some more recipes on our site that you can try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ollie - marble cakes are always pretty!


    Nate @ House of Annie - Those who have tried the cake loved it too :)

    The values after conversion on the few sites I've checked differed so I tested them out on the weighing scale.

    No worries about the link back! I like your site, and am definitely on a hunt for another recipe to try out!

    ReplyDelete